Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kim's Country Cookies




I believe this recipe came from a book of paper dolls that my friend Kim had when she was a little girl; the girl in the book was also named Kim. These are some of my favorite cookies. They are pretty easy to make; the hardest part is stirring the thick batter, as my little hand mixer would start smoking and then die if it tried to help me out with such a thick mixture. So you get a mini workout as a bonus... I am particularly proud of how circular & even in size my latest batch came out. I had to take a picture. Then I remembered my long neglected food blog... So hopefully you'll start seeing new recipes on leftovers4tomorrow with some frequency in the weeks to come. I did warn you that my cooking & baking happens in spurts!

Beat together:

  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil

  • 1/4 cup molasses

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1 egg

Add & Mix Well:

  • 2 cups flour

  • 2 cups flour

  • 2 tsp baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1/2 tsp cloves

  • 1/2 tsp ginger

  • 1 tsp cinnamon

You may also add raisins, which was in the original recipe, but I like the cookies without the raisins. If you do not have cloves, the cookies will still taste great, but they'll have a little less personality & bite to them. I usually add just a bit less than 1/2 tsp cloves, but add a little extra cinnamon to compensate. Also, I do sift the flour I use. Not sure if that makes any difference, but I enjoy sifting. :)

  • Chill in the Refrigerator. (I have to admit I always skip this part & it does not seem to make a difference. Maybe the chilling makes the dough easier to roll into balls? I'm too impatient.)

  • Grease Baking Sheet (I used country crock)

  • Roll into 1" balls and dip into sugar. (The sugar on the bottom seems to help prevent the cookies from getting burnt bottoms - the downfall of some cookies I have made. Moving the cookies off the cookie sheet to cooling rack - about 1-2 minutes after they are out of the oven also helps the bottoms of the cookies stay nice and golden.) I am realy proud of this batch.

  • Place on Greased Cookie Sheet

  • Bake 8 minutes at 350ยบ

No comments: